Regular discussions about mental health, including identifying any issues that are impacting people, can build trust, understanding and a culture of care.
There are some simple steps you can take to create an open culture, including:
- Have leaders openly discuss their mental health.
- Get managers to have regular one-on-one meetings with team members and discuss their mental health. Read more about how to check in with our blog, The art of checking in.
- Run regular ‘lunch and learn’ sessions on different mental health topics. There are plenty of TED talks you can use, or SuperFriend has a range of topics to suit your workplace.
- Use the first five minutes in team meetings as a wellbeing check-in, and follow up with anyone who isn’t doing well.
- Encourage workers to check in with each other. They could set aside 30 minutes each month to catch up with a different colleague. R U OK? has a range of resources to help them with the conversation.